Watoto Child Care Ministries and our related entities appreciate that privacy is very important. We take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to administer your account and to provide the products and services you have requested from us. We will never sell your personal information, and we will only share or use it as described here.
How to Change Your Preferences
You can contact any of the Watoto support offices to change or update your preferences at any time. See here for specific contact information.
How We Operate
We operate in line with General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) nationally and globally. We are committed to maintaining your personal rights and allow all supporters to change or withdraw their opt-in options at any time.
Watoto was set up as a compassionate response to children orphaned, abandoned and left vulnerable due to war, poverty and disease. In addition, we come alongside women who bear the brunt of these conditions. Watoto is head-quartered in Uganda and has various regional support offices around the world.
This policy relates to supporters of Watoto globally. It applies to individuals who have registered with Watoto as a sponsor, donor, Watoto Children’s Choir host, visitor, volunteer, customer and administrator or in any other capacity. Processing of your data is required in order to offer you these services.
We do not collect any sensitive data, except for Visit Watoto team members and individual volunteers. The sensitive data we collect includes details about their health and behavioural norms.
What This Policy Applies To
This section describes the lawful basis for processing your data and applies to the information about yourself that you choose to provide us with or that you allow us to collect. This includes:
- Information you provide when you set up your sponsorship/donation
- Information you provide when you sign up for our email updates
- Information you provide in forms for visit Watoto trips or volunteering
- Information you provide related to Watoto Children’s Choir enquiries and bookings
- Information you provide when you use our website
- Information relating to purchases and other transactions
- Information given and stored as part of our ongoing relationship
Scope of Consent
Opting Out at a Later Date
Once you have given your consent, you can amend or withdraw your consent at any time. You can also choose to object to processing at any time. We respect all user rights. If you have any comments or wish to complain, please contact us at any time.
Under certain circumstances, you have rights under data protection laws in relation to your personal data. These include the right to:
- Request access to your personal data
- Request correction of your personal data
- Request erasure of your personal data
- Object to processing of your personal data
- Request restriction of processing your personal data
- Request transfer of your personal data
- Right to withdraw consent
How we store and process your data
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
We will only use your personal data for the purposes for which we collected it. If we need to use your personal data for a purpose unrelated to the purpose for which we collected the data, we will notify you and we will explain the legal ground of processing.
We may process your personal data without your knowledge or consent where this is required or permitted by law.
Sponsors will receive our Christmas updates as well as letters from the Watoto support office closest to you and sponsored individual as part of your sponsorship administration.
You will receive email updates, fundraising campaigns and newsletters from us if you have opted in or as outlined by the General Data Protection Regulations specific to your country, for example through our website and forms, at Watoto events or by phone/email.
You can withdraw your permission to receive our emails at any time by using the unsubscribe link found at the bottom of our email updates, fundraising campaigns and newsletters.
Watoto Child Care Ministries is the Data Controller. In relation to the information that you provide to us, we are legally responsible for how that information is handled. We will comply with the Data Protection Act specific to your country in the way we use and share your personal data.
Watoto intends to ensure that personal information is treated lawfully and correctly. To this end, Watoto will adhere to the Principles of Data Protection. Specifically, the Principles require that personal information:
- Shall be processed fairly and lawfully and, in particular, shall not be processed unless specific conditions are met
- Shall be obtained only for one or more of the purposes specified in the Act, and shall not be processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes
- Shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to those purpose(s)
- Shall be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date
- Shall not be kept for longer than is necessary
- Shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects
- Shall be kept secure by the Data Controller who takes appropriate technical and other measures to prevent unauthorised or unlawful processing or accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal information
Contacting us, exercising your Information Rights and Complaints